Nancy Escher, ASA
President, Escher Associates
Fine Art and Rare Books
National Art Museum of Sport (NAMOS), New York, N.Y. | Administrative assistant, managed inventory, transportation and installation of exhibition of sporting art at the 1980 Olympics.
Daguerrian Era, Pawlet, Vermont | Administrative assistant, cataloguer and research associate. Prepared works for exhibition at art fairs.
Gotham Book Mart, New York, N.Y. | Book seller, administrative assistant, scheduling, correspondence, sales, attend auctions and book signings.
Zeitlin & Ver Brugge, Los Angeles, CA | Antiquarian bookseller, fine art department.
Janus Gallery, Venice, CA | Gallery assistant, sales and exhibitions, front desk.
Stuart Salsbury Appraisers, Los Angeles, CA | Staff appraiser, fine art and rare books, inspection, identification, description, research and value conclusions.
Nancy Escher Inc. Appraiser of Fine Art and Rare Books, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Consultant to Butterfield & Butterfield Auctioneers and Appraisers | Opened the Los Angeles office as specialist in 4 departments: rare books, prints, photograpy and contemporary art.
2018 ASA Personal Property Connoisseurship Conference, Detroit, Michigan, Presentation: Archives: The New Frontier.
2015 Westmount College, Montecito, Museum Studies Course, Guest Lecturer.
2013 ASA International Appraisers Conference, San Antonio, Texas, presentation: Fakes, Forgeries and Authentication.
2012, US Tax Court Case Symposium: Estate of Mitchell - Personal Property/Fine Art.
2012, San Diego Bar Association Conference: Speaker on Hard to Value Assets.
2006 IRS Symposium Los Angeles, Chapter: Art Panel - Common Valuation issues and Best Practices with Karen Carolan, IRS Art Advisory Panel and Joy Gibney Berus, Attorney.
Dana Hall School, Wellesley, Mass. 1963-1966.
Briarcliff College, Briarcliff Manor, N.Y. B.A. in Art History, 1970.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Massachusetts Committee for the Preservation of Architectural Records, 1985.
Society of American Archivists, (SAA). The Administration of Photographic Collections, Los Angeles, CA, 1985.
Columbia University, New York, N.Y., Rare Book School: Archives and Records Management, 1984; Western Americana, 1987.
ASA Personal Property 4 Level Courses.
USPAP (Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice) Current to 2017.
Senior Member of the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) tested and accredited in Fine Art and Rare Books, 1985-1990.
Elected to the International Personal Property Committee, ASA, 1994-1998, Secretary of Executive Committee, served on the Board of Examiners, 1999.
American Society of Appraisers, Los Angeles Chapter Board Member, Chairperson Personal Property, 1984, 1988, 1993, 2001. Served as chair person of Personal Property Roundtables 1990-2000
Los Angeles County Museum of Art: Graphic Arts Council, Member of the Executive Board, 1984-1988, 1990.
Art Table, Executive Board, 1992-1995.
Los Angeles Center of Photographic Studies (LACPS) Board member, 1987-1988.
Society of American Archivists.
Staff Appraiser, Escher Associates
· M.F.A., University of California, San Diego, 1997
· B.A., Hampshire College, 1992
· American Society of Appraisers: Principles of Valuation PG201; Introduction to Personal Property Valuation
· American Society of Appraisers: Principles of Valuation PP202; Development of a Personal Property Appraisal: Research & Analysis
· American Society of Appraisers: Principles of Valuation PP203; Communication of a Personal Property Appraisal: Writing the Appraisal Report
· American Society of Appraisers: Principles of Valuation PP204; Personal Property Valuation: The Legal and Regulatory Environment
· Staff Appraiser—Escher Associates, Appraisers of Fine Art & Rare Books, Ojai CA; 2014 to present
· Development Consultant, Artadia: The Fund for Art and Dialogue, Los Angeles and New York; 2016 to present
· Gallery Partner/Director, Nye & Brown, Los Angeles; 2011-2014
· Gallery Owner/Director, The Happy Lion, Los Angeles; 2003-2010
· Gallery Manager, Grant Selwyn Fine Art, Beverly Hills and New York; 1999-2002
· Research Assistant of Escher Associates, Appraisers of Fine Art & Rare Books, Beverly Hills, Ojai CA; 1998 to 1999
· American Society of Appraisers, Applicant
· Artable, Member